OK, so I've been in Gimhae for nearly two weeks now. They had me start teaching the day after I got here...less than 24 hours after my flight touched down. Nice. The previous posted video was made about 3 days after being here.
I'm working at two separate after-school academies or "hogwans." They're both part of a franchise called GnB English. So far the teaching has been pretty fun. I teach about 8 or 9 classes a day. The students are pretty cute. Most of them are in elementary school. Each class is only about half an hour long...so I'm not sure how conducive that is for students to actually learn much, especially given the fact that I only teach some classes once a week. I'm the only native speaker at both hogwans, and am surprised that some of the some of the other "English" teachers don't speak that much English. I'm still trying to figure out the curriculum at both academies, and doing my best to communicate in a culture that is very foreign from my own. But hey, it's been pretty low stress, so I'm just rolling with it. Plus I'm in a pretty good situation to learn a lot of Korean quickly...which I've been doing. So that's been fun too.
Met some other foreign teachers last weekend. We hung out sunday afternoon and ate some bulgogi. Got some perspective on korean culture from other outsiders who have been here for several years. Some of them live in my same neighborhood, so hopefully we'll see each other fairly often.
So, things are off to a good start. More later.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks for taking us on your hike, we are out of breath...uh, uh, uh! It looks beautiful and seems serene and quiet. Did you see any animals? I'm glad that the job is low stress. Kids are great fun, aren't they? enjoy every moment! we love you and miss you.
ReplyDeletehey, i cant get any of your videos to work.
ReplyDeletetry using a different web browser. looks like auntie steph and mom and dad could see them.
ReplyDeletei want to try some of that eel. it looked delicious. i just learned how to make kimbap. have you had any? your bathroom is very... compact. looked like some i saw in peru. don't electrocute yourself in the shower. -"aunt"lisa
ReplyDelete