Friday, November 20, 2009

오바이트

I took a quick trip down to the corner store with some students before class. On the way, we saw a particularly gross pile of vomit on the ground. So when we got back to class, I decided to tweak the lesson plan a bit.

10 comments:

  1. nice. havent heard of street pizza before. you left out up chuck though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about "barf"? That's such a standard. C'mon, Erik!

    Miss you, friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah i know. i was totally kicking myself afterwords for leaving out "upchuck", "barf", and "puke."

    dang it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i did learn the one korean word for barf though.
    오바이트. o-bai-tuh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that you said it was a "particularly gross pile of vomit." Would a different pile earn the label, "a rather nice and non-revolting pile of vomit?" haha, I love your teaching style, these kids sure are lucky to have you!!!

    Char

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmmm a field trip....sounds like a chip of the old grandma block! next thing you know you'll be taking them to the dorrar (dollar) store to spend their "kwan".
    GOOD LESSON Erik! Great job for thinking on your feet.
    blaaahhhh! (that's the fake sound of throwing up)
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahahah... Melanie said "dorrar". Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it was a "particularly gross pile," char. this one had been spewn all over a wall, and had then oozed its way down to the floor, where it contentedly induced gags and dry heaves from innocent passers by.

    of course it was nothing compared to the infamous grace ev free middle school winter camp of 2009, where the vomit dominoe effect began with a shower of half digested fried chicken raining down from the top bunk onto jeffrey hubbard's head at about 2 am.

    you can ask ryan for all the details...and about how the other two dominoes fell.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My observation from living in China: Asians have vomiting down to an art form. And I know exactly what you mean by "a particularly gross pile."

    I'm with Sue . . . we miss you, Erik.

    ReplyDelete
  10. so, from China, I haven't been able to read your blog at all until now (thanks to a friend) and now that I saw this chalkboard list, I think my life is complete. :)
    I laughed so hard I almost... well, pick a verb, any verb.

    hope you're well Erik!

    ReplyDelete